I started writing criticism in 2005. You can peruse a selected CV of that work below.
My old blog VINYL IS HEAVY was retired in 2011 in favor of a less formal tumblr.
Two newer tumblr pieces that I like: Critical Precepts for the Writer and Autobiography.
- An essay on my difficulties with experimental films, their frequent rejection of language, and the 2015 Crossroads film festival.
- On Michael Mann's Blackhat
- On Jimmy P, Cheyene Autumn, Birdman, and The Larry Sanders Show for The 7th Annual Writer's Poll: Fantasy Double Bills
- Inside-Out, on Jonathan Glazer's Under The Skin
- Out of Balance, an essay about The Lone Ranger and Gore Verbinski
- Bounding 'Round Town, an essay about Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig's Frances Ha
- The After-Image, an essay about the recent films by Nathaniel Dorsky, seeing, and images in general
- 2011 Fantasy Double Bill, The City Below and World on a Wire
- A Cluster of Ideas on Contagion, a conversation with Danny Kasman
- Cannes Questionnaires, a series of video interviews from Cannes 2011
- Out Of The Past: Five Old Flames
- My contribution to the 2010 Poll of fantasy Double Bills. I wrote about Bell, Book & Candle and Wild Grass
- La Varda, a paean to Agnès Varda
- Nothing's Perfect: Where the Wild Things Are and Fantastic Mr. Fox
- Peeking around corners: writing A Letter to Uncle Boonmee with Joe
- Images of the Decade, a project with Danny Kasman, in two parts: one for images and one for their captions.
- The Notebook's 2nd Annual Writers Poll: Fantasy Double Features of 2009; mine is in Part I.
- Jeanne Dielman: Solitude's a fortress?
- Bay Area: A Flare for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.
- F.W. Murnau's Sunrise: Harbor daze and drunk on you
- Now in theatres: Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, USA)
- Frontiers of Extinction: A Conversation about Michael Mann's Public Enemies, with Daniel Kasman and Ignatiy Vishnevetsky.
- A glance at Jean-Marie Straub and Danièle Huillet’s Chronik der Anna Magdalena Bach
- Dreyer Diary #3: Ordet
- 35 rhums, on the night shift.
- Breadlines and Champagne! Man's Castle (1933, Borzage)
- Douglas Sirk's Magnificent Obsession: We Poor Devils
- The Notebook's First Annual Writers' Poll: Ryland Walker Knight (Wrangle yourself and laugh)
- Samuel Fuller's White Dog: Natural is not in it.
- An amber kaleidoscope: Lola Montes (Ophüls, 1955)
- Blog coverage of the 2011 Cannes Film Festival
- on David O'Russell and The Fighter
- on Wes Anderson
- on Jane Campion's Bright Star + in English
- on James Gray + in English
- The Pile Up Of Days, about my first trip to Cannes in 2011
- Sodey Pop « In Which We Watch Steven Soderbergh Mayhem »
- As "Guest Editor" I penned the introduction to "Garments" (issue no.4) and contributed the video "West Dressed" [blog post]
- "Plumule, or, I never meant to make a fist" (issue no.3, a poem) [blog post]
- "No answers, or, Winter is over if you want it" (issue no.2, a poem) [blog post]
REVERSE SHOT [index]
- We’ve Got to Get Out of This Place, on Claire Denis' U.S. Go Home
- The Touch, on Michael Mann and his digital cinema
- Back at the Ranch, on Gus Van Sant's Even Cowgirls Get The Blues
- Making the Mortal Immortal, on Andrei Tarkovsky's Mirror
GREENCINE DAILY [rip]
THE HOUSE NEXT DOOR [byline]
- Last Lost: Season 6, Eps. 1 & 2, "LA X"
- Ratatouille's sense of taste, of place
- 2008: Lessons and laughs and leaps.
- New New World: An Exchange, A Conversation, An Epigraph
- Baggy like a house, and running away: Playing catch-up with Arnaud Desplechin’s My Sex Life... and Kings and Queen.
- San Francisco Silent Film Festival 2008: A Series of Introductions, A Question of Communion
- Pedro Costa at PFA, Day 4: In Vanda's Room
- Pedro Costa at PFA, Day 3: Where Does Your Hidden Smile Lie? and Sicilia! with "6 Bagatelas"
- Pedro Costa at PFA, Day 2: Blood and Bones, “Ne change rien”
- Pedro Costa at PFA, Day 1: Colossal Youth
- 2007: It's okay to play catch-up.
- Yes, it's true: There Will Be Blood.
- The Host is Hungry
- Return to the movies, return to the world: Ratatouille & Paprika
- Afraid to get wet? Plunging into and flipping At World's End.
- 5 for the Day: Double Bills
- 2006: Swiss Cheese Masculinity